Brian Cummings, Department Head
Eliminating the manufacturing skills gap, one students at a time
The Advanced Manufacturing program provides students with the opportunity to experience the latest advanced manufacturing technology. Students will experience hands-on techniques, which replicate career opportunities in today’s advanced manufacturing facilities.
Advanced Manufacturing Skills:
Advanced Manufacturing students will be trained in a diversely & well equipped program to obtain competency from beginner to advanced levels, using a variety of state-of-the-art advanced manufacturing equipment and techniques, such as:
Precision CNC programming, set-up, and operation equipment:
Haas VF-OE and TM-1P Machining Centers;
Haas SL-20 Turning Center with Bar feeder & parts catcher;
Advanced CNC Control Simulators.
Precision R&D Manual Machining equipment:
Milling Machines / Prototrak;
Precision Surface Grinders;
Vertical and Horizontal Band Saws;
and various hand tools, and finishing tools;
CNC Programming, set-up, and operation:
Students learn basic CNC G-Code programming;
Advanced setup techniques;
Visual Quick Code programming;
Innovative/in-process inspection techniques.
Complete integration of the latest Mastercam CAD/CAM software;
Introduction to Autodesk Inventor HSM CAD/CAM software.
Additive Manufacturing – 3D Printing/3D Scanning Technology:
Complete (and growing) 3D/Additive Manufacturing program;
3D Systems CubePro 3D Printer & integrated software;
3D Systems 3D Hand-held part/object scanner;
Generate STL models for printing;
Integration of CAD software to print 3D parts/objects;
Additional Fab Lab equipment arriving.
Advanced Inspection, Measurement, and Quality Control
CMM programming & inspection;
Surface Plate inspection using gauge blocks, height gauges, and indicators;
Micrometers & Calipers with dial, vernier, & digital scales;
Bench work & layout
Laser Engraving / Laser Cutting Technology
Work Readiness Skills
Resume & Cover Letter development;
Interviewing skills & techniques;
Business, finance, and entrepreneurship skills.
Lean Manufacturing skills
During your time in the Advanced Manufacturing program, you will find a wide range of opportunities. These times will be filled with many opportunities to try something new and exciting. There is never a dull moment, as the program is regularly implementing new advanced manufacturing technology, while completing assigned projects, as well as specialty & customer projects. The Advanced Manufacturing curriculum is always dynamic and very exciting.
If you are interested in making things, whether it be in CNC machining & 3D printing, using CAD/CAM software to develop & implement ideas, or whether it be learning about advanced equipment such as laser engraving/cutting and CMM measuring equipment, then this field is definitely for you! “Endless Possibilities” is the best term that often comes to mind.
CNC Set-up Person
Advanced Manufacturing Technician
Quality Control / Quality Assurance technician
Additive Design & Manufacturing Technician
Post-secondary opportunities would lead you to advancements in Manufacturing/Mechanical Engineering.
Manufacturing Statistics to Consider
Here is just a small list of career and post-secondary opportunities in the Advanced Manufacturing field:
- For every $1 of goods produced, manufacturing generates an additional $1.43 for the economy
- As of 2015, the average wage for skilled manufacturers is more than $77K!
- 90%+ of manufacturing personnel have medical benefits
- The current lack of skilled manufacturing workers is expected to result in approximately 2 million manufacturing jobs going unfilled by 2020.
- Recently, nearly $1 Billion in grants have gone to vocational schools and technical colleges to support the creation and advancement of Advanced Manufacturing programs
- Advanced Manufacturing supports over 17.6 million jobs in the US. That’s more than the total population of the 4 largest US cities (New York City, Los Angeles, Chicago, & Houston)
- Since 2014-2015, approximately $180,000 has been invested into our own Advanced Manufacturing program to help solve the career skills gap and provide awesome opportunities for our graduates
- Currently, thousands of advanced manufacturing jobs are available and await you in the Worcester area alone!
For more information about this department, contact Mr. Cummings.